Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The first time I went to New York City

The first time I went to New York City
I felt like I had been born.
Surrounded by the spectrum of humanity
in a single subway car.

I wondered if I had ever really known the world before.
The energy and vibrancy was like nothing I had ever experienced.
It was like this big party that had been going on for years,
and I had just now finally shown up.

Bench seats where you're happy to sit next to someone else.
And sidewalk strides are studied as you meditate on the heals before you.
I wondered if anyone from New York City could ever be shy or afraid of people.
I wondered what I would be like if I was from New York City,
If I wouldn't by so shy and afraid of people.



The endless advertisements of Broadway theater,
backgrounds for the myriads of backpacking buskers.
Art was tangible and flickered like electricity;
more real than a spatula and hamburgers.
I was surrounded by dreamers and achievers
real live make believers.

I heard a woman say,
"It's a toga party".
And Lady Liberty led the way.

The first time I went to New York City,
I went into a hot dog shop
then through the back of an old phone booth
which led into a secret lounge
where I ordered the most expensive cocktail
of my entire life.
I don't even drink cocktails,
but it had the largest and most perfectly square ice cube
I had ever seen in it.
Just one gigantic cube.
I initially was impressed with the cube
so much that I felt like I had gotten my moneys worth.
Then I remembered it was an ice cube.
Just a stupid over priced impressive ice cube.






No comments:

Post a Comment