Monday, December 31, 2012

ridiculously naked lives

I haven't been able to get these lines from Dr. Victor Frankl's book "Man's Search For Meaning" out of my mind (p. 34):

"... the illusions some of us still held were destroyed one by one, and then, quite unexpectedly, most of us were overcome by a grim sense of humor.  We knew we had nothing to lose except our so ridiculously naked lives." 

It's funny, because I think all any of us really have are our ridiculously naked lives.  Since the creation of man, our creator has given us nothing more, and nothing less.  Yet it takes the hell of a Nazi concentration camp to remind us of this.  Most of us forget it still, often.  As I ceaselessly do.  Worrying and afraid, foolishly, as if I had something to lose.  God is not a void where we sit when we're naked.  Our nakedness is the truest expression of God we will never know, by our own power.

No comments:

Post a Comment