Saturday, January 4, 2014

Dance Lessons of the Soul

Sometimes I write things on my to do list after I have already done them just so I can scratch them off my list.  Regularly I do this, actually.  Which is pretty peculiar when I stop and consider it.

I wonder what other things are this way?  What else do I do, just to undo, for the sake of satisfaction, enjoyment, or accomplishment?  Buying a Christmas tree and decorating it, then taking it down 2 weeks later and throwing it away?  Making a ginger bread house that you never eat (no one ever eats those).  Going for a walk, you just leave the house and then come back, like a really slow boomerang.  I guess all the food we consume is kind of like that, too, since it all ends up coming out.


What about lying down to go to sleep?  That ones pretty important.  We need sleep.  We need food, and exercise, and ginger bread houses.  But in the morning we've got to get right back out of bed, back to where we came from.  We cross sleep off our subconcious list every single day.

Maybe go to work?  Work work work until... one day.  You quit, get fired, or retire.  Those are really your only 3 options.  Work is like a really prolonged slow motion repetitive boomerang with all the miniature passing boomerangs of this life in between.  We're always going back to where we came from, though.  Exercise, food, ginger bread houses.

Our to do lists and good night sleeps.  They all pass, and we move on, back to where we started.  This entire life is just a boomerang on a list, just waiting to stop spinning and be crossed out.  And we never know exactly when we're going to stop spinning.  So I reckon we've got to make real good sure were spinning the way we want to spin.  That were writing really good boomerangs down on our to do lists, and crossing the proverbial crap out them with joyous penmanship.

This dance of life is but a flash on this earth, and as surely as everything continually keeps coming back to us on this giant circle, someday we will suddenly leave this place, growing into its grounds, just as we came from them.

Life is like a boomerang, except its not made of wood.  We do lots of spinning in our human experience, making our to do lists.  Crossing things off.  Our dances aren't just for the sake of crossing things off, though.  At the end of our life, for better or worse, all our spinnings were for the soul.
For the dance lessons of the soul.

2 comments:

  1. I like the "We've got to make real good sure we're spinning the way we want to spin" line. That's a great way to sum up all my thoughts/actions of the past month. Awesome! There's always at least one sentence in these posts that just hits me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ken! I appreciate that, man. I'm glad you've been able to find at least one needle in each haystack.

      Delete