Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My wife knows more about cars than I do

A car enthusiast was showing my wife and I some photos of some cars he was working on.  I admitted to him that Esther knows much more about cars than I do.

He asked if that was ever embarrassing.

mmmh, I shoulder shrugged a "whatever" response.

In hindsight, I really like the fact that Esther knows more about cars than me.

I like that we each know more about different things.  Not everything we know and are interested in are completely predictable cliche's.

Men are supposed to like football and know more about cars, and woman are supposed to cook and scrapbook.  That's fine if that's what you're into, but I think a lot of people are just insecure about breaking away from cultural expectations.

It's often easier to listen to the voice of others rather than your own.



Which is a shame.

Jesus seemed like he always flipped everything on its head.  1,000's of years of prophecy before his arrival, and he's still completely unpredictable.

I wonder how often I'm missing stuff because I'm giving in to expectations, letting my environment guide me as I fall into a lazy auto-pilot mode of living.

It's easy to live on auto-pilot, to go with the grain; the masses.  But I don't think God put me on this planet to conform and do "easy", I don't think he put any of us here for that reason.


Question:  How do you feel about cultural expectations?

No comments:

Post a Comment