Thursday, March 6, 2014

Storyline, thoughts on living a spicier life

Clarifying something worthy of pursuing with your life will make your life into a better story, and therefore a better life.

This is the main idea I took away from "Storyline", founded by "Blue Like Jazz" author Don Miller.  Whether you encounter Storyline through a conference (like I recently did in San Diego), the book, or a small group, Storyline is all about helping people live better stories.                                                              
         
                                                    "The stories we live effect others.  
When you have a clear plan, people are inspired." -Don Miller

Don Miller

The main example Don used to not focus your life on, was something trivial, such as buying a Volvo.  If someone's main goal in life is buying a Volvo, and they work overtime and save up money to buy one, that's really not a very interesting story, or an interesting life.


"Some people are waiting to see what God does, but what if he's waiting to see what you do?" -Allison Vesterfelt



Now the people that spoke at the conference with the spotlight shining on them were leading naturally spicy lives.  That is to say, they were doing remarkably interesting things.  Starting schools to reform witch doctors, having 500 people over for dinner, having breakfast with Mel Gibson to discuss their screenplay "Braveheart", etc.



              "God will never be handcuffed by your failures, or unleashed by your successes.
                God doesn't need us, We need him."  -Jon Acuff

I started wondering how I could be remarkably interesting.  How I may be able to make my own life more suitable for a halfway decent movie plot.  Or at least a halfway decent indie film plot...

                                "There is no perfect story, but 8 million great ones."  -Don Miller

I started brainstorming random ideas.  One of them was walking the equivalent of the United States, but within my own town.

Then I ask myself, does it really need to be the equivalent of the U.S.?  Or is it good enough to just walk around town?  If I'm having to try to make something sound cool, does that mean I'm trying too hard?
Bob Goff

     "What if we're the ones who tell people how far they've come?" -Bob Goff

I confessed to my buddy Luke, who also attended the conference, that I felt pretty lost.  Unfortunately, probably more lost than I had felt before attending the conference.  All of the information and questions I started asking myself further highlighted things that I don't know.  At least now I know what I don't know, though, which I think is a big first step.

Luke admitted he hadn't discerned much direction for himself either.  I also added the fact that I have chased a dream passionately before, and I ended up really regretting it.  So then I can't help but wonder to myself even more pointedly, is it OK to just be content in life, or do I really need to find a large obstacle to overcome?
                
"Don't confuse being famous with being known, or success with meaning."  -Jon Acuff

I don't think a content family man makes for nearly as good of a movie plot as someone starting witch doctor schools in Uganda.  Do I really care if my life would make for a good movie plot?

I believe God teaches, shapes, and has big hopes for all of us, but I think those big hopes can be realized in small, subtle, non blockbuster making ways.  That's not to say I'm against people doing totally radical stuff.  I feel like at the end of the day, each of us simply needs to be faithful.

             "I find it easier to write to a business audience, because while the business audience
              may disagree with your ideas, the Christian audience disagree's with your soul."  
                                                                                                                     -Jon Acuff

I do hope I can further clarify what I want in life.  Maybe my life will become a better story, maybe I'll even walk around the entire world in my bedroom.  I don't know.  I do know this is something that can't be forced and needs to be done with the right heart, though.

I feel good about letting these thoughts and questions ruminate in my mind.  My life may not look like the worlds shiniest blockbuster (yet), but I think the fact that I am thinking about these sort of things leads me to believe I'm on the right track.  Or perhaps like Bob Goff may say... jumping the right tracks.

                  "Will people read what you write?  I have no idea, 
                    but I guarantee no one will read what you never write."  
                                              -John Richmond

What are your thoughts on living a better story?

No comments:

Post a Comment