Saturday, January 2, 2016

Yeshua

I referred to Jesus as Yeshua in a recent post. I wondered how confusing that would be for most people. I had never heard of the name Yeshua until a few years ago. From my understanding (which is superbly limited) the Biblical names we know are the English versions. Which seems crazy, like if your names Bob and you go to a different Country do they pronounce it as Zanzabar? Or something?

No man, his name's freaking Bob. Actually I wouldn't mind a sweet nickname while abroad, but I digress. The point is the Son of God I grew praying to named "Jesus" was apparently never his name at all. Weird right? I mean even if you're not a Jesus follower or whatever, that's just weird no matter the situation. Is it not?

It's like you hear about peoples names changing when they immigrated to America. My wife's maiden name is "Noblitt", but supposedly it was "Noblet'" (pronounced "no-blay") in it's original French origin. They just changed it to fit in, or be easier to pronounce or something along those lines. So I guess I can get that.

I'd personally prefer to know people by their real name, though. Seems pretty simple and more genuine that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment