Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Talk is cheap... as is technology

Technology is kind of like "talk", it's often cheap on its own accord.  I share this thought from a position of defense; upon reflecting on my recent actions...  I did my first round of mail out marketing for my business this week, and a friend made a comment about the fact that I was wasting paper.  Was I?

I see the argument, for certain.  It would make more logical sense to just email my material, save the paper, save the $.45 stamp, save the $.25 color printing cost, save all the time hand addressing each envelope and having to take a trip to the post office, that would make logical sense.  Unfortunately, if everything we did was purely for logic's sake, then why would we ever even interact with one another face to face other than to reproduce?  Why meet when we can talk on the phone, or even better, email, or text, or video chat?  Why acknowledge the fact that we have hearts and souls and that life means anything if none of it makes logical sense?  Why even reproduce? 

Life's purpose isn't logic, logic is more like life's anti-purpose.  If you ask me, (which you haven't, but you're reading this, so tough,) life's about engagement, connection, and growth.  Things like technology and logic, simple tools for a complex world filled with layered lives worth spending $.70 on attempting to connect with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment