Thursday, May 16, 2013

Wink

While checking out at the grocery store today, the checker responded to my "how's it going", with, "regular".  Pause.  Which means "pretty good", he adds, as he winks at me.  Slyly.  Jerk.  Smooth young jerk.  He was probably 20% younger than me, and he had the nerve to wink at me.  I've never winked at a stranger in my entire life.  I'm not that brave.  I also don't curl my mustache up on the ends.  Nor do I have a mustache.  His greatest move was the way he actually moved me through the line and emotionally in that 54 second transaction while he rung up my pizza and ice cream, though.  It wasn't the wink, the stache, or the fist bump he gave me on the way out, necessarily.  But some how he made my spirit feel very light by the time I was exiting.  Maybe I don't or wont ever have that exact effect on someone, but I think I have made people happy before, at certain times, and I can always get better.  I hope I get better.  And when I get better the world will get better...  Someday I'll be a graduated sly jerk.  Maybe when I'm 20% older.