Saturday, February 22, 2014

When to Start

The more I confess my desire to write a book, the more peers I come across who say they feel too young to start.

I feel too young to start, too.  My life experience is laughable in the presence of most, but I know there's so much more to becoming a good writer than the number of items you've checked off your bucket list. And I couldn't imagine how whimsically treacherous my life would be if I always only followed my feelings.

I believe like any art, or sport... or thing, you've got to start somewhere.  So why not now?

Anyone who has mastered anything started working towards it long ago.

Many respectable writers I have come across published their first books as young adults, or even as teens.  And they published, and published, and published.  They didn't wait until they felt qualified to release a single swan song at the end of their lives.  They seized the pen, the day, their idea, and they started.

If I had a dollar for every time I waited to do something when I was older, I certainly wouldn't be any richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment