Sunday, December 22, 2013

My story about the story of me writing my first story

I'm getting more concerned about my own concern for the non-fictional character I am playing but trying to pretend not to play in my book that I am currently writing, but trying to pretend that I'm not actually writing it.  It's getting confusing.  Right?  The other day as I started writing about how I was thinking about taking writing more seriously, I got a great wave of inspiration that that could be my plot.



It's the story of my trying to become a semi-famous author, while I try and overcome never having taken my writing seriously before, and the dilemmas of my past, the ethics of story telling, etc.  So the whole book would be about me trying to embark on this journey of learning how to write a book.  But that's actually the story itself.  I'm even doing it now, continuing in my sloppy nature, thinking to myself, maybe this very piece could be in the story of the story about me trying to write a story.

I'm very worried the excitement I had about this idea came purely from my own laziness.  I mean, I'm basically just journaling, just elaborating on random daily moments, trying to spice them up a little.  Is that really the ingredients of a remarkable story?  Is that the makings of a good book?  Or a lazy newbie who isn't even creative enough to develop a story line?

I'm so relieved I didn't post what I was close to posting on Facebook the other day.  Living on my exciting high about how I might actually be growing some direction for a book, I almost proclaim my new found passion for becoming a semi-famous author accompanied by a link to my blog that I have reformatted 3 times this week.

So quick to jump so quick to fail, you know?  Easy come easy go.  No, I don't want to decide I want to become a writer at the beginning of the week, and then lock myself out of my own hopes by the end of the week.  It's easy to do when we hit those passion filled highs, you know?  But quick and easy stuff is kind of like free stuff... it's worth every penny that you paid for it.

Well if I do manage to follow through with my book about me writing a book, and this does make it in there, I guess I should welcome you to the story.

"Hi there, my name's Garret.  I have no idea what I'm doing.  I either made you read this, or for some crazy reason, you actually decided to read it.  Either way, thank you."